Saturday, January 12, 2013

Wearing my tourist hat

¡Hola everyone!

Its been a few days since my last post, I've been having a lot of difficulties getting connected to the internet. I've come to the realization that I cannot possibly tell you all everything I want to about my experience because there is literally SO MUCH that each post would be pages and pages. So I've decided that instead I will post my favorite experiences and things I've learned and such.

So lets begin with Tuesday:
After orientation we went on a hike of the hills that overlook the city. It was an uphill hike the whole way, which made me SO tired. It was probably about 2 miles but the views were spectacular!! Here is a few photos from the hike:
My favorite photo so far!!
 




















Once we got to to the top of the hill we went to a traditional Catalonain restuaunt. It was a 3 course meal. We started with Calçots which are a scallion type onions that are charcoled in fire. You strip the blackened part off and dip in this amazing sauce, tilt your head back and enjoy! We also had Pa Amb Tomaquet which is bread that you rub garlic on, squeeze tomato guts on, add oil and vinegar and salt and enjoy. That was DELICIOUS, by far my favorite -I will be making this at home!! Finally we had a lemony beer in this weird container thing, I can't remember the name of it. You pour it into your mouth, your lips never touch it so you share it with everyone. 
 

The next day my friend Emily and I tried Tapas at a resturaunt. We had no idea what they were, but we knew we had to try them. One dish was fried calamari, being brave, I tried it:



As you can see, fried calamari is not for me. But I'm proud that I tried it!

We then went on a tour of the Gothic quarter which was very long, but very interesting. It was interesting to learn that Barcelona has Roman Ruins built into some of the buildings, and it actually has the some Roman Ruins underground, as an underground city! 


Side note, I have been experiencing extreme jet lag and am still not used to the time change. We are six hours ahead than back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment